Happy New Year! 2017 was a pretty crazy year for me. I had so many ups and downs, and life changes. I’ve moved 3 times, had 2 different roommates, made so many new friends, experienced so many new places, and traveled to a new country. With all that, this past year I had learned so much more about myself and had cared more about my well being then just about any other year past.
It’s crazy how we can ignore our overall health and not even realize it. I don’t just mean physical health, but I mean mental health as well. There are so many head-clearing things we need to do for ourselves to keep sane and to keep happy, yet sometimes we lose sight of what that is. Sometimes we also lose sight of our aspirations and the way we want to live our lives and end up just living day to day as we were.
So, instead of giving something up, in 2018, I want to remember to live life to the fullest and to take advantage of every day. Life is all about experiences, feelings, and memories. With that, I wanted to share some reflections from 2017 and some things that will remind me to live life the way I should in 2018.
- Travel to a new country + a new city – so many of my favorite memories are made from exploring a new place and interacting with new people and cultures
- Go to church more often – It feels really good to go and I always leave feeling uplifted and ready for the future
- Continue to eat healthier + workout a few times a week
- Realize it’s okay to be selfish – do what you need for yourself – take the day off, get a massage, drive around town singing your favorite song. Relax and realize that you are doing your best
- Also, realize that it feels good to begood to people
- Practice patience, kindness, and empathy
- Have the courage to admit when something isn’t working and commit when something is – it’s okay to be vulnerable and scared, that’s life and sometimes life puts us up to these challenges. This can make us feel uncomfortable, but being uncomfortable can also signify a good change!
- Cherish friendships + make more friends you can’t live without – life is about memories made with people you love
- Leave everything you have on the table – Don’t hold back your thoughts, your love, or your creativity
- Be happy in the present – Nothing will ever be as enjoyable as you think it will be unless you allow yourself to be happy – no trip, no person, no money. Be happy now, or be happy never. Happiness starts with yourself. Don’t take anything for granted. Thinking about the past, or the future in the now is mentally exhausting. Let yourself be happy in the moment
- Be conscious of how you spend your time – give your time to the people you love, to grow, to explore, to fulfill something that you need so that at the end of your time, you’ll be able to look back and feel happy about how your time was spent
- If you want something, do it, there will never be a better time – this past year I started a blog, purchased a nice camera, planned trips abroad, and decided to get my real estate license. These are all things I’ve been talking about doing for years. I finally realized there was no reason why I hadn’t done them yet, so I did. I’ve been happy and proud of myself for it ever since
- Don’t take life so seriously – you can choose to live life seriously or take it with a grain of salt. If someone said something mean to you, ignore it, if you didn’t get the answer you wanted, find another way. Have fun with life – laugh, smile, it’s a rollercoaster, not jury duty
- Relationships take work – you cannot expect your relationships to prosper forever without putting any effort in. Love and friendships take work, time and energy
- Love people, things, moments – love makes the world go around
For more inspiration, this is one of my favorite articles to live by. I highly recommend the read! I will leave you guys with a few recent favorite quotes!
- “There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do” – Freya Stark
- “In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock” – Thomas Jefferson
- “The mind and the body are way more powerful together than either one is alone. Give yourself the means to be who you are regardless of what anyone else thinks or believes” – Jen Sincero
- “What lies behind us, and what lies before us are but tiny matters compared to what lies within us” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “You’re never going to be 100% ready and it’s never going to be just the right time, but that’s the point. It means that every moment is also the right moment. If you want it, you just have to do it.” – Unkown
- “We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same” – Carlos Castaneda
- “Stop & notice how you feel right now. Feel your breath moving in and out. Feel the air on your skin. Feel your heart beating. Your eyes seeing. Your ears hearing. Notice the energy inside and outside of you buzzing. Shut off your thoughts and feel your connection. Right now, in this moment you can find peace and joy in that which simply is” – Jen Sincero
Here’s to making 2018 the best year yet and to making ourselves the best self we can be!
Shop My Look